Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Jury Duty

I was laying on the couch one day shortly after the college football season was over when my brother threw a piece of mail at me that no one wants to see.  Jury Duty Notice.  Yup, I had to serve Jury Duty this year and honestly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  Sure, the waiting around for something to happen was boring as hell, but the rest of it wasn't that bad.  First off, I have to mention that when I first showed up, I sat down and starred at the floor for 30 minutes because I was bored and it was early (and I hate mornings) and when I finally looked up, I just so happened to be sitting beside a fraternity brother of mine who also happened to be a lawyer.  So, having a lawyer there to explain to me what we were going to expect for the next week helped a lot (b/c other than being arrested for scalping a football ticket during my freshman year of college, I've never been in a courtroom) and on top of that, I had someone to talk to during all that time we sat around doing nothing.  One of the things I asked him about was what kind of juror the prosecution and defense attorneys would think I am.  His response was "you make a perfect juror".  What does that mean?  Basically, he explained to me that both sides would have no objections with having me on the jury and that there is no way either attorney would "strike" me during the selection process.  And sure enough, both times my name was called during jury selection, I was picked to be a juror.  Next week, I will tell you about both the cases I served on and all the "fun" I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment