Friday, October 26, 2012

Daisy

I just finished reading the new Ken Follett book, Winter of the World (it's the second book of a trilogy that I highly suggest reading, the first book is Fall of Giants) and one of the main characters is named Daisy.  After seeing this name, I wrote the following random email to fellow Brainfart contributor Alex:

"....After seeing her name, I thought to myself - that is such a great name for a girl...or is it?  Either it is a great name for a baby girl b/c it just seems sweet and makes you smile when you hear it (I told you this was coming out of nowhere) or it is a great name for a baby girl who will one day grow up and be destined to be a stripper.  So, which do you think it is?  Sweet or Stripper?  I'm actually torn over this name for some reason."

I know, this is really really random, but I am truly confused over this name and after Alex didn't respond to my email after a couple of days, I called and asked him again.  His response was "I started to write you back a couple of times, but I don't know the answer either, maybe we should write a post about it and see what our awesome readers think".  So, that's what we are doing.

While you are trying to decide for yourself, we did a little research to see how many famous Daisy's there are out there and thought that by weighing them against each other, it might help us figure out our problem.  Let's take a look:

Good Daisy's
  • Princess Daisy - you could almost put her in the Bad Daisy's because of all the times that Mario had to save her ass from Bowser, but in the end, she is still good.
  • Daisy Fuentes - remember her, she used to be on MTV all the time in the 90's and was pretty hot.
  • Daisy Duck - another fictional Daisy and because she was able to put up with Donald Duck's crazy ass, we will give her good status.
  • Daisies (the flower) - a beautiful simple flower that is a mainstay in Americana.
Bad Daisy's
  • Driving Ms. Daisy - that racist lady from the movie, racist = bad.
  • Daisy Dukes - I put her as a bad Daisy for a couple of reasons.  First, she helped run an illegal moonshine business.  And second, she was played by Jessica Simpson who turned out to be such a disappointment in the hotness department.
  • Daisy May Moses - that cranky, crazy Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies, while she was likable, she was still a bitter old lady.
  • Daisy BB Guns - this one is for the older folks.  Back in the day, my dad used to have BB gun wars where kids ran around and shot other kids.  No helmets.  No goggles.  Just horrible scars and lost eyes.
And after that, nothing has been solved.  Damn it, this name has really got me stumped and I can't figure out which way to go.  I keep wanting to say that it is a great name for a girl, but then I hear a voice in the back of my mind say "And now to the stage, please welcome Daisy!".

"Yeah, she used to be hot and dumb, now she is dumb."

No comments:

Post a Comment