Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Outer Space

I've always found it amazing that outer space is only roughly 73 miles above our heads.  Actually, the start of the boundary of outer space depends on who you ask, however, most agree it is anywhere from 50 to 80 miles from sea level, but we are going to go with 73 miles because that is the most recent estimate.  In any case, think about that.  It means that if you could drive your car in a straight line from the beach to outer space, it would take you only about an hour to get there (but probably faster because I doubt there are any speed limits in the stratosphere).  Or if you were to walk there, it would take the average human about 21 hours until they are floating around like an astronaut.  For some reason, I find that fascinating and felt that you guys should ponder on this little nugget today.

"Umm, Houston, I don't know how to tell you this, but I just saw a station wagon drive by.  Did you guys forget to tell me something or are these mushrooms finally kicking in?"

No comments:

Post a Comment