Friday, June 21, 2013

Robot Chicken Part One

I sometimes stay up late at night and catch reruns of the hilarious sketch show, Robot Chicken.  You know, that show with stop-motion dolls, lots of fart jokes, people exploding, and random celebrity cameos.  And it's that last one that I want to key in on, random celebrity cameos.  If you have watched this show and if you watch the credits, you will sometimes be surprised by some of the people who have done voices for that show and I am here today to present another fun list of those people.  However, my list will not include every celebrity that has come on the show, but rather the ones that I find surprising.  So, there will be no Mila Kunis or Seth MacFarlane (they work with show creator Seth Green on Family Guy) on the list, just people that I said "Whoa, they did this show" when I saw their name pop up on the credits.  Oh, and there are a lot of names, so I will be splitting this up over the next three weeks.  Let's do this:
  • Dom DeLuise - I like this guy, but I have always found it strange that everyone knows who is despite not really ever being the lead role in anything.  The first thing I think of when I hear his name is All Dogs Go To Heaven (which isn't true b/c the villain definitely goes to hell) and that was a movie he provided his voice for, so how is that everyone knows who he is?
  • Burt Reynolds - I know this guy's career has been in the crapper for years and by doing this show it was actually a huge step up from the last thing I saw him in, that terrible Jason Statham movie, In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale.  Yeah, I actually watched that whole thing.  I'm dumber now.
  • Mark Hamill - Did you know that he also has done the voice of The Joker on pretty much any animated Batman show for years as well as a ton of other voice work?  Well, you do now.
  • Conan O'Brien - Sure, Conan is a goofy guy and him doing this show isn't a stretch, but you would think he wouldn't have any time for doing this show.  Then again, he did have a few years off because of something that happened at NBC.
  • Dave Coulier - Oh yeah, Uncle Joey took some time out of his busy schedule to provide the voice of Popeye for Robot Chicken.  I don't know how he found the time, but he did.
  • Don Knotts - Barney Fife.  That's all I got.
  • Bruce Campbell - Quite possibly the greatest B actor of our generation.  Did you know he auditioned to play Batman in Batman Forever?  I think he would have been a lot better than Val Kilmer.
  • Jimmy Kimmel - Another funny talk show host who I was surprised to see had time to do this show.
  • Melanie Griffith - Antonio Banderas's baby momma swung by the show and did the voice of Hermoine Granger.  Also, did anybody see the short-lived show Ben and Kate?  The actress who played Kate was Dakota Johnson, who is Melanie and Don Johnson's daughter.
  • Sam Elliott - You may not know his name, but you definitely know his voice.  He played The Stranger in The Big Lebowski and has the manliest voice known to mankind.
  • Weird Al Yankovic - I love this guy.  Everything he has ever done was hilarious and I am shocked that he doesn't get more work in movies and TV.  And for the love of god, will SNL please bring this guy on the show to host!!!
"I really wish this scene was in the real movies."

No comments:

Post a Comment