Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cookbook Authors Not Authors

I admit it - I have watched some cooking shows with the old lady.  Maybe even one or two without her.  They aren't as bad as I would have thought but there is one thing that frustrates the shit out of me - most of the chefs are introduced as authors.  The host will say something like "And coming into the kitchen now is world renown chef and author of Grill It, Bobby Flay!"  So I think to myself, "self, what a great and talented guy to not only be a chef but also write a book centered on cooking - I may be able to learn a thing or two about a thing or two from him".  So I go to check this book out on the internets only, shock and surprise, it isn't a book at all - it's a cookbook.  You can't be an author if all you "wrote" is a cookbook!  That's an insult to every writer ever until the end of time.  There aren't even full sentences in cookbooks; at least not ones that don't involve a measurement or an instruction.  If copying down down recipes is writing, consider me Charles fucking Dickens.  How hard is that?  "But you don't understand, its like creating art." Fine.  You're an artist.  A crappy artist.  (writing) "Add salt to mixture."... I'm going on break!  Bobby Flay even has a cookbook called Burgers, Fries, and Shakes.  What's in it, directions to Wendy's?  If your particular kind of "book" has to be qualified with "cook" before it, it means it is not a real book and thus you are not a real author.  You may have been curious why I put the cookbook titles in green smaller text - normal books get underlined, cookbooks now get small and green because they are like little stupid alien books.  Good Day.

" Sous chef, more like....I dunno, just look at the picture some more."

No comments:

Post a Comment