Friday, July 26, 2013

Golf Balls and Dogs

I was playing golf the other day and came to a realization - the things I tend to say/yell at my golf ball sound eerily familiar to things I would also say/yell to my dog.  So, let's explore these sayings with a fun list I compiled with the help of a couple of friends:
  • "Sit" - We'll start off with an obvious one.  You probably say this to your dog on a daily basis and if you watch golf on TV, you hear Tiger say this all the time (that and he loves to drop F-Bombs).
  • "Go" - Whether you are telling your golf ball to go or trying to get your dog to get out of the way, you definitely have said this to both.
  • "Get Down" - Is your dog on the couch and shouldn't be?  Did you hit your ball a lot further than you wanted to?  Then saying 'Get Down' will work....only on the dog.
  • "Don't Go That Way/Where Are You Going" - I seem to be saying this all the time when I hit a golf ball and how often are you yelling this at your dog when it is running off?
  • "Damn It, What Are You Doing" - You find your dog licking its own vomit or running around with a sock on its head and this saying is definitely said.  As for your golf ball, you hit a putt and it goes the opposite way you thought it would and say this all the time.
  • "Settle" - Your ball hits the green and won't stop rolling or your dog keeps jumping on a guest, saying this seems to do the trick....once again, only for your dog.
  • "Get In the Hole" - This one is obvious for your golf ball, but only applies if you happen to have a huntin' dog and want it to go after a rabbit or something.
  • "Stay Out of the Sand/Water" - I took my dog for a walk once and she chased after some geese to the side of pond and stopped at the edge, but then she suddenly just jumped in which was weird because she hates taking baths.  I yelled this, but it didn't really help at that point.  And it goes without saying why you would yell this at a golf ball.
  • Bonus: "Rough/Ruff" - My buddy Ned suggested this one and it took me a second to figure out what he was trying to say.  But I guess if you have ever tried to talk to your dog in its language then you have probably said this and the golf side of it is pretty obvious.
"Damn it, Rex.  This is the last time I take you golfing.  When I said "Go", I meant the ball not you."

No comments:

Post a Comment