Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Next Batman

The Dark Knight Trilogy wrapped up last summer and The Dark Knight Rises came on HBO recently which got me to thinking.  We all know that they are going to make more Batman movies, it's inevitable, that franchise makes way too much money not to make more.  Plus they are making a Justice League movie and the Justice League wouldn't be complete without Batman.  So, I decided to make a list of some actors who I think could fill the cape and cowl.  Some of the guys I picked I thought might fill the role of Bruce Wayne really well, some I thought would make a great Batman, a couple of these guys will make a great combo of both, and some I picked just because I like those actors.  So, let's see what I got:
  • Josh Holloway - You all remember Josh, he played Sawyer on Lost.  While I don't think he would make the best choice for Batman, I think he would make an interesting choice.  Plus, how is this guy not getting more work, he was great on Lost.
  • Armie Hammer - The new Lone Ranger was actually cast to play Batman in a Justice League movie set to come out a couple of years ago, so you know he has the potential.  He has the look and if The Lone Ranger is any good, maybe he could get the part in the future.
  • Idris Elba - I know, I know, he's black, but you have to admit he is the man.  He has a large range as an actor and I think he would be great as Batman if given the chance.  Too bad the internet would implode if he was cast.
  • Karl Urban - If it wasn't for the fact that he seems to star in a lot of crappy movies (Doom, Dredd, The Chronicles of Riddick), he is awesome as Bones in the Star Trek reboot.  And based on his performance as the Russian assassin in the second Bourne movie, you know he can kick some ass as Batman.
  • Ryan Gosling - If it weren't for the fact that he might be too "pretty" for the part, I think he would do a good job as Batman.  Plus, you have to see this video of him breaking up a fight on the streets of New York.  That has to give him some bonus points in his audition.
  • Michael Fassbender - The new Magneto is a great actor.  He has the look and if he could figure out a way to sound not so foreign, he has a shot at being the new Batman.
  • Matt Bomer - Matt's biggest role to date is on the USA show White Collar and I actually enjoy that show for some reason.  Would he make a good Batman?  Maybe, but I would have to see him kick some ass in another movie before I could answer that question with any confidence.
  • Bradley Cooper - While some people will say, "No way, he's too pretty and would be terrible as Batman".  I would say, "Well, maybe but you have to admit that he could pull it off".  
  • Joe Manganiello - You know him as the werewolf Alcide on True Blood and I love this guy.  I don't think he would be at the top of the list for a new Batman movie, but he should definitely be considered.  Plus, he does an incredible Randy "Macho Man" Savage impression.
  • Jon Hamm - Hammbone (that's what I call him) would make the perfect Bruce Wayne, however, I feel like he would fall into Clooney territory as Batman.  Just not physical enough.
  • (Bonus Pick) Brandon Lee - I know this would be impossible, but I watched The Crow recently and I felt like that movie was the perfect audition to play the Caped Crusader.  Brandon Lee would have been at the top of my list if not for his unfortunate death.
Sadly, none of these guys would be able to touch Christian Bale's take on Batman and that's the problem.  Bale was so good that he may have ruined it for the rest of these guys.  The only way someone can play Batman and successfully pull it off is if they put the franchise on hold for a decade or so and let The Dark Knight trilogy be a past memory by the time they make some new movies.  However, we all know that's not going to happen and someone will be cast in the next couple of years and that person has about a zero percent chance of living up to the expectations after seeing the Dark Knight Trilogy.  Let's just hope that the person they do cast doesn't "Pull a Clooney" and kills the franchise completely....again.  (By the way, my pick out of all of those guys is the black British guy.  Idris Elba is too good of an actor not to be a great Batman).

"A man seeking revenge for the death of love ones?  Check.  Can kick ass?  Check.  Has a winged animal theme?  Check. What more do you want?  It really is a shame that he died so young."

No comments:

Post a Comment