Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Who's The Bigger Star?

I came up with a fun new concept we will call "Who's The Bigger Star?" where we try to figure out who is more famous.  Each time I do one of these posts, I'm going compare actors, sports figures, or TV personalities against each other and see who I deem to be the bigger star.  This week I picked a tough one:

Tom Hanks v. Harrison Ford

  • Biggest Role:  Tough call, I guess it would have to be his role in Big.
  • My Favorite Role:  Jimmy Dugan in A League of Their Own
  • Top Earning Movie:  Toy Story 3 (but Forrest Gump when he actually appeared on screen)
  • Biggest Flop:  I honestly don't know.  Most people would say Joe Versus the Volcano, but I actually liked that movie so I'm going with The Ladykillers even though The Terminal was equally as bad.
  • Awards:  4 Golden Globe Wins (nominated 7 times) and 2 Oscar wins (nominated 5 times) and will probably be nominated for both Captain Phillips and Saving Mr. Banks for this year's awards.
  • Career:  Starting with Splash in 1984, Tom has had a hell of a career and has never really had a stretch of bad movies in almost three decades.  He's won two Oscars and starred in some iconic movies like Big, Forrest Gump, and Saving Private Ryan.

  • Biggest Role:  Even though Indiana Jones was awesome, Han Solo was way better.
  • My Favorite Role:  Han Solo, duh.
  • Top Earning Movie:  Star Wars, duh.
  • Biggest Flop:  Over the years, Harry (we're that close) has done some really weird stuff and a lot of people hated his movies like Six Days Seven Nights and Hollywood Homicide, but I'm going to go with something that hasn't come out yet and pick The Expendables 3 because I saw the first one and it was so bad I still don't know how it has gotten not one, but two sequels.
  • Awards:  No big wins, but he did receive 4 Golden Globe nominees and one Oscar nominee.
  • Career:  He got his big break in American Graffiti and then went on to Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and then played Jack Ryan in a couple of movies.  However, after Air Force One, he really hasn't done anything memorable in 15 years unless you count that terrible Indiana Jones 4 movie, which I try to forget exists.
Verdict:  Harrison Ford starred in two incredible franchises and is beloved by all, but Tom Hanks is Tom Hanks.  Everyone loves that guy and if you saw in the news that he punched a nun, you're first thought would probably be "What did the nun do to make Tom hit her?  It couldn't have been his fault".  Plus Tom Hanks' body of work is just that much more complete from start to finish.  If this post was written in 1997, Ford probably would have given Hanks a run for it, but from 1997 on, Harrison has done a lot of garbage.  Tom on the other hand has been starring in quality movie after quality movie his entire career.  It's still hard to vote against Harrison Ford because of Han Solo and Indiana Jones, but I still have to give it to Tom Hanks.

"If this was based on Worst Hair in a Movie, Tom would have won again."

No comments:

Post a Comment