Friday, November 8, 2013

All-Time Gross v. All-Time Adjusted Gross

I came across a list of the All-Time Adjusted Gross Domestic Movies that take a movie's box office results and factor in inflation.  So, I thought I would compare that list to the current All-Time Domestic Movie list to see how different the two would look.  Let's look at the lists first and then I will throw a couple of comments at you guys (dollar figures are in millions):

All-Time Domestic

Avatar (2009) - $761
Titanic (1997) - $659
The Avengers (2012) - $623
The Dark Knight (2008) - $535
Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace (1999) - $475
Star Wars (1977) - $461
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - $448
Shrek 2 (2004) - $441
E.T. (1982) - $435
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) - $423

Adjusted All-Time Domestic

Gone with the Wind (1939) - $1,649
Star Wars (1977) - $1,453
The Sound of Music (1965) - $1,162
E.T. (1982) - $1,158
Titanic (1997) - $1,105
The Ten Commandments (1956) - $1,069
Jaws (1975) - $1,045
Doctor Zhivago (1965) - $1,013
The Exorcist (1973) - $902
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (1937) - $889

Comments:
-Gone with the Wind being on the adjusted list makes sense, but The Sound of Music seems a little off.  Was that movie that good?  Maybe it's just that only a couple movies came out each year and any movie about humiliating Nazis was a must-see at the time.
-Only three movies are on both and thankfully, Avatar wasn't one of them.  That movie was awesome the first time you saw it, but it is pretty unwatchable after that, it's sooooo damn long.
-The Phantom Menace?  Really?  I'm glad that that movie sucked so hard that none of the following sequels made the list.
-I refuse to refer to The Avengers by its full title.  Nor E.T.
-I still think the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie was by far the best of the series, too bad the first sequel is the only one on this list.
-I'm kind of shocked that The Exorcist made the adjusted list.  That doesn't seem like the kind of movie that enough people would have seen in the theaters to make that much adjusted.
-I've never seen Doctor Zhivago, but my buddy's dad told me in a random conversation I had with him last year that it still holds up after all of these years, so I'm cool with it being here.
-Did you know that when Walt Disney made Snow White, it almost bankrupted the company and Disney's wife told her husband that no one would ever go see a movie about dwarves.  Whoops.
-I'm really disappointed that a Shrek movie made the list.  I guess that proves that parents will take their kids to anything if it will shut them up for a couple of hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment