Sunday, November 3, 2013

Stupid State Laws - Virginia

Here comes another post about a state law that still exists on the books and why it is ridiculous (to see them all, click here):

Virginia

"There is a state law prohibiting 'corrupt practices of bribery by any person other than candidates."

At first, this law kind of made sense to me, but then I got to thinking about it and it become really stupid.  So, Virginia got rid of the practice of bribery, that's a good thing, but they left a huge loophole in their law for no reason that I can think of.  Basically, this law makes it illegal for people to bribe a candidate, but it is perfectly okay for a candidate to buy as many votes as he wants?  Meaning that if you are really rich, you can just buy your way into office?  That doesn't seem fair.  Then again, I guess that's how elections work today anyways, so this law is kind of moot.  You got lucky this time, Virginia.

"Here's my bribe, so vote for me."
"One Dollar!!!  That's it!!  Well, I guess so."

No comments:

Post a Comment