Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Making Golf More Interesting

I love to play golf.  I play as much as I can.  I may not be the best golfer in the world and I may finish the round and be more stressed than when I began, but I still love to play.  But when it comes to watching golf, I only seem to watch the major tournaments (plus that one with the island green).  The PGA tries to spice things up during the year with the rare match-play tournament, but those get super boring because there is only one pair of golfers playing on the last day and way too many commercials.  However, there is one tournament they play every other year that I find the most enjoyable to watch (outside of The Masters) and that event is The Ryder Cup.  It has everything.  Two teams competing against each other.  Different styles of play (four-ball, best ball, alternate shot, individual pairs).  Drama.  And patriotism.  I think the PGA would benefit greatly by hosting more Ryder Cup-like tournaments each year.  The biggest question would be - who would play on the teams in these events?  A couple of suggestions:

  • Veterans v. Youngsters
  • Players from one college v. Players from another college
  • Appoint the top two world ranked players as captains and they draft teams
  • Put names in a hat and draw them out to make teams
  • Snobs v. Rednecks

Who cares what the teams are, they just need to stage more of these team tournaments.  I'm telling you, this would make more people watch.  Sure, watching Tiger or Phil playing at their best during a major tournament is fun, but why is football king?  Other than the violence, it's the team aspect of the game.  You get to pull for a group of players and not just one rich dude.  The Ryder Cup is one of the rare golf events that I get totally emerged in and the PGA really needs to bring us more of these.

"Plus you can do this every time you win.  Looks like fun, right?"

No comments:

Post a Comment