Monday, November 4, 2013

NOKW - The Hunger Games

Here comes the next chapter in our "I'm Okay With, I'm Not Okay With" series (if you don't know what this is, click here for all of the past posts):

Movie:  The Hunger Games

Basic Plot:  It's the future and humans are forced by an evil emperor to make two kids from their districts fight to the death to prove something or other that makes little sense.

I'm Okay With:  The fact that this movie was so forgettable that I can't remember anything about it, so we are just going to skip this part.

I'm Not Okay With:  The fact that no one in the Capital seems to have a problem with forcing children to murder each other for their amusement.  Now, I understand why the Hunger Games were created, the government wanted to punish the population for trying to rebel, but that doesn't mean that everyone has to be okay with the idea.  You would think that at the 'Thinking of a Punishment' meeting, someone would have raised their hand and said "This is a decent idea, but kids?  Why not 20-year old guys?  That doesn't seem as fucked up as forcing children to murder other children.  Seriously, does anyone else in this room really want to watch a 16 year old boy stab a 12 year old girl in the chest with a spear?  Put your hand down, Roger, you're a dick."  I know this is fiction, but still, that is an entire universe of people who find it socially acceptable to watch a contest of kids who fight to the death and no one other than the districts where these kids come from care.  I am not okay with that.

"Damn it, Roger, what did I say!"

No comments:

Post a Comment