Thursday, June 19, 2014

Top/Bottom 5 Movie Roles - Nicolas Cage

Here is where I pick a random actor or actress's Top 5 and Bottom 5 Movie Roles (I assume the post title gave that away).  This won't necessarily be the chosen actor or actress's best roles, but a combination of their best and my favorite.  In other words, if there is a tie, I'll go with my favorite.  Also, I won't actually be ranking them, they will be in a random order.  Lastly, this isn't these actor's or actress's best movies, but their best characters.  Let's get started:


Top 5
Ben SandersonLeaving Las Vegas - First off, I have to say that there were a lot of Nick Cage roles I really liked, a lot that I really hated, and nothing in-between.  That has to be a first.  Anyways, we should lead off with his only Academy Award winning role that was really awesome.  My favorite thing about this movie (other than getting to see Elizabeth Shue's boobs) was that the first half of this movie was pretty funny.  Nick Cage as a raging alcoholic was hilarious, but then it got sad and you can see why he won the statue.
Roy WallerMatchstick Men - This movie is awesome the first time you see it.  It has one of those twist endings that makes okay the second time you see it, but that first time was great.  Plus Sam Rockwell was in it and I love that guy.
Yuri OrlovLord of War - Sure, Nick doesn't exactly pull off a Ukrainian, but regardless, this movie was very entertaining and I thought it was one of Nick's better jobs.
Big DaddyKick-Ass - He might have been born for this part.  Nick is a huge comic book nerd and getting to play a gun-totting crazy badass must have been his dream.  Too bad he ruined that dream with a movie in the Bottom 5.
Caster TroyFace/Off - Holy crap, this last one was tough.  It came down to his part in Con-Air, Gone in 60 Seconds, and this.  Yes, those other movies are cheesy (as is this one), but he was great in all three except I really liked him in this one even if it had the most ridiculous concept.  Trading faces with someone?  How high was the guy who wrote that?

Bottom 5
JoeBangkok Dangerous - Never saw it, but I heard it was a big bag of garbage.
Johnny BlazeGhost Rider - Great comic book character, but it's move to the big screen was terrible (and I still don't know how it got a sequel).  The Ghost Rider himself looked pretty cool, but the rest of the movie looked really bad.  Plus, how do you stop an undead skeleton with a flaming head?  At least Superman has kryptonite, what does Ghost Rider have?  A bucket of water?
Stanley GoodspeedThe Rock - I liked this movie, except I found it really hard to believe that desk jockey like Nick's character is able to take down a band of highly trained soldiers with the help of a 70 year old man.
Benjamin Franklin GatesNational Treasure - It was the name that got this spot.  Also, did you know a third National Treasure is in the works.  Sigh.
Edward MalusThe Wicker Man - Another really tough one.  It came down to his part in Season of the Witch, Next, Knowing, and this.  All bad, but this character did punch a woman in the face and ran around screaming about bees.  So bad, but kind of good.


No comments:

Post a Comment