Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Rappers Turned Actors

I've noticed a disturbing trend lately - rappers who have decided to dabble into acting.  What makes these guys think they can act?  Obviously, one of their "yes" men thinks it's a good idea or their agent (who is also a "yes" man) tells them they can do it, but we all know better.  So, I compiled a quick list of the former rappers who have gone on to do TV or movies.  Oddly enough, not all of these rappers are terrible actors, but for the most part, they are really really bad.  Also, I won't be listing guys like Will Smith and Mark Wahlberg because those guys will always be actors before rappers in my book.  Let's do this:

  • Ice Cube - Every time I see one of his Coors Light commercials I feel like someone should remind him that he did the family comedy Are We There Yet? and he should no longer be allowed to act 'hard'.  However, Friday was pretty good.
  • Ice-T - I've never seen his Law & Order show, but I did see Leprechaun in the Hood and that should tell you everything you need to know about his 'acting' abilities.
  • LL Cool J - He was surprisingly good in Any Given Sunday and Toys (even though that movie was a bucket of poop), so I'm not going to bash him.
  • Vanilla Ice - Just kidding.
  • Nelly - The Longest Yard remake was the only thing I ever saw him do and that movie can kiss my ass.  Did they really think they could make us believe that Adam Sandler was a quarterback?
  • Queen Latifah - Did you know her real name is Dana Owens?  Yeah, anyone who willingly changes their name to Queen Latifah should never go into acting, let along get their own talk show.  Yeah, she has her own talk show now.
  • 50 Cent - I can barely understand what he is saying when he raps, what makes him think that that will translate to movies?
  • Snoop Dogg - I don't give a damn that he calls himself Snoop Lion now, he will always be Snoop Dogg to me.  Also, Soul Plane.  Yikes.
  • Mos Def - The last three on this list are the only acceptable rappers turned actors that I feel like have some actual acting talent.  While people didn't like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, you can't blame Mos Def for that, he was pretty good.
  • Ludacris - Yes, that's how he spells 'Ludicrous', but whatever, this guy actually was pretty good in the (undeserving) Oscar-winner Crash.  We'll just forget that he keeps doing those Fast and Furious movies, they suck.
  • Andre 3000 - Outkast was and is one of the greatest rap groups ever and therefore we will overlook the fact that Andre Benjamin is a mediocre actor.
"Oddly enough, Snoop might be the second best actor in this photo.  You decide who is the worst."

No comments:

Post a Comment