Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Outback Steakhouse

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the guy who does the voice-over for Outback Steakhouse commercials sound like he is doing a fake Australian accent?  Seriously, that guy sounds like he is trying so hard to sound Australian that it sounds really fake.  Which brings me to my next point - why can Brits and Australians talk in a flawless American accent, but Americans can't do a British or Australian accent?  Other than Johnny Depp and Robert Downey Jr. (and he can only do an old-timey British accent), Americans are terrible at British and Australian accents.  However, if somebody didn't tell me or had I not have seen him interviewed I would have never known that Hugh Jackman (Wolverine) was Australian.  The same could be said of Gary Oldman (Comm. Gordon in the Batman movies) who is British, Christian Bale (aka Bat-effing-man) who is British, and Ryan Kwanten (he plays Sookie's brother on True Blood) who is Australian.  I've always found this amazing.  Oddly enough, the Irish and Scots are really bad at American accents, just look at Liam Neeson and Sean Connery.  Also, has Outback Steakhouse turned into the Wal-mart of restaurants?  I feel like every time I go there, it is nothing but rednecks spilling out of their sweatsuits stuffing their faces with Blooming Onions.

"That's Isla Fisher, she is Australian and she played the crazy chick in Wedding Crashers.  Also, she is married to Borat and they have two kids.  I'm not kidding."

2 comments:

  1. yes you are righton with that stupid fake accent. I lived in Sydney and have friends all over Oz, that voice is insulting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often wondered the same thing. Two things that spring to mind are that Aussies/Brits etc. are much more likely to grow up being consistently exposed to the American accent (via television, film, and other media) and also are motivated to master it so that they can work abroad in the wider market.

    ReplyDelete