Saturday, March 2, 2013

Best Customer Service Ever

Sometime last weekend, my iPod's on/off button stopped working.  Considering that that button is quite possibly the most important button on the iPod, this was a disaster.  Then again, there are only three buttons on my iPod and the on/off switch is the only that truly does anything.  Anyways, the button is broken and once the screen goes to sleep mode, I can no longer make my iPod work and have to figure out how to get it fixed.  And considering I am kind of a podcast junkie, losing my iPod is kind of sucks balls.  Here comes the good news, my iPod was still under warranty.  The bad news was that I couldn't find the receipt to prove that it was still under warranty.  My first guess as to how to go about getting it fixed was to go up to Target and hope they will just switch it out and magically not ask me for the receipt (I forgot to mention, I paid in cash, so they couldn't look up purchase by checking my credit card).  They of course tell me that they can't do anything about it because it is past their 45-day store warranty period and I should just contact Apple directly.  Crap, I just knew this was going to be a pain in the ass.

I couldn't have been more wrong.  I finally get around to calling Apple Support on Tuesday and all they ask for is the iPod's serial number which I happen to have.  The representative magically knows that my iPod is still under warranty and that I can go up to any local UPS Store and send in the faulty iPod for free by giving them a Repair ID Number which he provides me.  I don't send in the iPod until Wednesday morning because I didn't know UPS Store's close at 6pm.  I get an email notice that UPS shipped out my old iPod on Thursday and it will arrive at Apple by next week or something.  On Friday, my new iPod is waiting for me on the front porch when I wake up.  Four Days.  That's all it took.  I had a five minute phone conversation with Apple Support and I had a functioning iPod in FOUR days!  That is unheard of.  When was the last time you were able to get something fixed that easily through a company's customer service department?  Never.  I'm pretty sure that Apple sent me the new iPod before the old one even left the UPS Store and when this whole thing started, I half expected the new one to be sent out a week after the old one arrived at the least.  All I'm really trying to say is that I am shocked at how awesomely helpful and convenient Apple Customer Service was.  Because most people only write about how shitty.customer service generally is, I decided to turn the tables and compliment it instead.  Congratulations Apple Customer Service, you truly impressed me.  Too bad I will never buy one of your stupid computers though.

"Close enough to what I was talking about."

No comments:

Post a Comment