Friday, March 1, 2013

Random Musings from the Bible

When I used go to church as a youngster, I would usually just sit there and read the Bible to pass the time between all the singing and/or preaching.  Well, a couple of months ago I saw that a version of the Bible was free for the Kindle and out of curiosity, I downloaded it and read it from cover to cover.  I did skip a couple of books because they were either really really boring or nothing but hymns, but for the most part I would say that I read about 80% of the thing.  Here are a couple of things I did not know before reading it that I thought I would share:
  • Satan is depicted as a man at one point in the Old Testament and a dragon at one point in the New Testament and not once is he described as a red-skinned, horned, goat-legged devil.
  • There is an entire book listing the family trees of people and nothing else.
  • The entire story of the Tower of Babel is one paragraph long.
  • Goliath would have been considered of average height compared to most NBA players.
  • The death penalty was received if you got caught boning a goat and was one of the laws handed down by Moses.  Also, it was literally on the same page as 'Don't curse your parent's name'.
  • King Solomon was said to have 700 wives and 300 concubines.  That couldn't have been worth it.
  • The books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are virtually the same thing and if you do read the Bible one day, just read either Matthew or Luke, the other two are terrible.
  • Armageddon is actually the location of battle and not an event.
"Yup, this guy never shows up in the Bible.  The good news is that he does show up as a giant dragon which was kind of neat."

No comments:

Post a Comment