Monday, February 10, 2014

NOKW - Oblivion

Here comes the next chapter in our "I'm Okay With, I'm Not Okay With" series where I point out things in a movie I can tolerate and then one thing I just couldn't (if you want, click here for all of the past posts):

Movie:  Oblivion

Basic Plot:  Tom Cruise repairs drones that help protect giant turbines that sit in Earth's oceans which supposedly sends energy to a human colony on Titan.

I'm Okay With:  The fact that the only reason I picked this movie is because it debuted on HBO recently and also that it was actually pretty good.  The fact that I totally called the plot of this movie based off the trailer before it even came out in theaters.  The fact that that graphic of our destroyed moon was impressive looking.  The fact that Tom Cruise's house isn't structurally sound considering it is sitting hundreds of feet in the air and only has a single poll holding it up, a strong breeze should knock that thing down.  The fact that the satellite the bad guy uses seems to be able to see everything early in the movie and then they don't seem to use it when it would help the most later on.  The fact that the alien space pyramid doesn't bother to shoot down Tom Cruise's wife's space ship as it's approaching Earth.  The fact that the aliens he sees on Earth are never explained.  The fact that the alien in space is never explained.  The fact that Tom Cruise's wife seems to be okay with banging whichever Tom Cruise clone is still alive at the end of the movie.

I'm Not Okay With:  The fact that the bad guy doesn't seem to want Tom Cruise to know that he is a clone even though we find out later that an army of Tom Cruise clones attacked Earth.  If you haven't seen this movie (and I don't blame you), then what we know is that Tom Cruise and his lady partner are supposed to stay only within a certain range of their home because the Earth is supposedly radioactive.  However, it turns out that the radioactive part is just another Tom Cruise clone's territory and the bad guy doesn't want them to find out that they are clones and uses the radioactive excuse as the reason to accomplish this.  But the kicker is that we find out later that after the bad guy destroyed Earth's moon (which really messed things up), he/she sent down an army of Tom Cruise clones to take out any surviving humans.  So, my problem is, if the bad guy sent down thousands of Tom Cruise clones all at once, then why can't the current clones know that they are clones?  Nothing about this logic makes sense and it really bugged me as I was watching the movie.  I am not okay with that.

"The fact that the villain looks like this and has a female voice, symbolism anybody?"

No comments:

Post a Comment