Saturday, May 4, 2013

College Drinking

As Alex likes to do, Alternate Title - Nerd Alert!

I stumbled across a discouraging article the other day that basically said that college drinking is on the decline.  In fact, the article stated that only one out of three college freshmen are indulging in the college tradition of underage drinking.  One out of three!?!  When I was in college, I don't think I could name two people who didn't drink.  Then again, that might have been because I only hung out with people who went downtown six nights a week (and that would have been seven nights a week but in South Carolina, bars can't serve alcohol on Sundays without a special license).

What is happening to America's youth?  I can only come up with two solid reasons for this disturbing trend (and yes, that does mean that I endorse underage drinking, it's a right of passage).  The first reason is legitimate and that is that college kids are having to concentrate on their studies so that they can have grades good enough to score a decent job in America's crappy economy.  The second reason is more far-fetched.  That being that more and more non-Americans are enrolling in American colleges.  In other words, more Asian kids are going to schools in our great nation.  I have no proof to back this up, but it does bring up one of my favorite things about college football gamedays at Clemson.  We used to tailgate near Clemson's library and every Saturday we would be up at eight or nine in the morning binge-drinking for a dreaded noon game when the Asian kids would wander out of their dorms to go study and have the most confused looks on their faces as they walked across campus full of people getting their party on.  That always made me smile and somehow justified my early morning drinking.

In any case, I'm kind of sad that more and more college kids are not taking part in one of the best parts of being a college student - drinking until you attempt to make the room stop spinning, waking up, and then repeating the process all over again.

"Seriously, how does this not look like fun?"

No comments:

Post a Comment