Monday, May 13, 2013

Movie Review - Iron Man 3

As I always like to do after seeing a good movie, here is my review and recommendation of a new release:



Iron Man 3

I'm not entirely sure how I felt about this movie and it's really tough to put it into words, however I will try my best.  I liked it, but something seemed off about it.  Iron Man 3 was written and directed by Shane Black, the same guy who wrote all of the Lethal Weapon movies, The Long Kiss Goodnight, The Last Boy Scout, didn't do anything for about a decade, and then he wrote and directed the underrated Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.  In other words, he has a good history of action flicks so Iron Man should have been right up his alley.  However, unlike all of his previous movies, this one was based on a comic book and therefore he still wrote it like it was a regular action movie but with a superhero in it instead of some witty cops.  And that is where I feel like something was slightly off about it.  This movie had some really funny parts in it, the action scenes were great, and Robert Downey Jr was his usual charming self.  But the way it was written, they could have left the whole comic book aspect out of the movie and it probably would have made a really good cop movie instead of a good but not great comic book movie.  I think that makes sense and hope it explains why I liked it, but still didn't think it really fit the usual comic book movie mold we have come to know.

Otherwise, I thought the movie had a great pace to it.  The action scenes were spaced just right and there were no slow parts, so you never got bored (which is the reason I still think The Dark Knight is overrated).  They incorporated a cool aspect with a whole new array of Iron Man suits, especially the Mark 42 Suit which could attach itself to Tony Stark by his thoughts alone.  Going into the movie, I knew the villains were The Mandarin and Aldrich Killian, but they never showed anything about their henchmen's abilities in the trailer, so that was a good surprise (I don't want to give anything away, so I'm keeping it as vague as possible).  They also threw in a strange subplot for Pepper Potts towards the end that may or may not turn into something interesting in the future, we'll have to wait until the next Avengers to see if they go anywhere with it.

The only problem with this movie other than what I talked about above was that the ending was kind of confusing and I'm not sure where they were going with it.  If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.  They showed you one thing, but said something completely different as the credits rolled and I don't know which way they want us to think they meant.  Just confusing is all I'll tell you.

The cast was as excellent as usual.  RDJ is the man and takes over Christian Bale's mantle as the best casting choice of any superhero at the theaters.  I'm not the biggest Gwyneth Paltrow fan, but she still does a great job as Pepper Potts.  Don Cheadle still makes a great Rhodes/War Machine.  Guy Pearce played a good villain.  But it was Ben Kingsley who was the biggest surprise of the movie and not for the reason you think he would (I really don't want to give that one away).

Overall, Iron Man 3 was a good but not great movie and I would still recommend that you go see it in the theaters.  I don't see a lot of movies while they are in theater because with today's TV technology, there really isn't much you will miss by just watching a movie on your couch, but this movie is definitely one that is enhanced by the big screen.  Like I said, Iron Man 3 had some great action sequences and was a lot funnier than you would think it would be, so go see it, you won't be disappointed.

Fart Rating (out of 5):  4 Farts

No comments:

Post a Comment