Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Christopher Nolan's Casting Decisions

As incredible as Christopher Nolan is at making movies, he has one big weakness - he is terrible at casting his female leads.  Let's take a look:

  • Memento, Carrie-Anne Moss - Yeah, Christopher Nolan directed this movie.  And Carrie-Anne Moss is that chick from The Matrix and while she might be a decent actress, all I can ever think of when I see her is "meh".
  • Batman Begins, Katie Holmes - There is a reason she had to be replaced in the sequel.  She might be nice to look at, but her performance was lacking.
  • The Prestige, Scarlett Johansson - Another nice actress to look at, but she just couldn't pull off playing an English woman in the 1800's.  Also, considering Nolan cast a Brit as Superman and Batman, you would think he would find it easy to cast a Brit as a Brit in a movie set in Britain.
  • The Dark Knight, Maggie Gyllenhaal - I've said this numerous times and I will say it again, she is the only reason this movie wasn't seriously considered for a Best Picture Academy Award and I actually applauded when she was blown up.
  • Inception, Ellen Page - There is just something about Ellen that just didn't seem right for this movie.  I think she did okay, but Nolan could have easily cast someone better.  And I almost put the actress who played Leo's dead wife on here, but she actually played a crazy lady really well, plus she is our next entry.
  • The Dark Knight Rises, Marion Cotillard - I think it's her accent that irks me.  She plays crazy very well, but the whole love interest side plot didn't sit well with me and was completely unbelievable.
  • Man of Steel, Amy Adams - Amy Adams is a really good actress, you have to be to get 5 Oscar nominations.  However, she made a terrible Lois Lane.  Apparently she didn't read any of the source material and she was one of the many reasons this movie didn't quite live up to the expectations.

That's not a very good track record if you ask me.  His new movie, Interstellar, comes out this summer and he cast Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain as the female leads.  Will they be the right actresses for the movie?  As of right now, that answer is probably no, but I do like both actresses and maybe they will pull it off.  For whatever reason, Christopher Nolan seems to be able to do everything right but casting women when it comes to making movies and I just do not know why.  The only one he got right was Anne Hathaway in The Dark Knight Rises, but that's it.  So weird.

"I found this picture a long time ago and finally made a post that at least mentions The Dark Knight Rises and had to finally include it.  It is pretty cool though."

No comments:

Post a Comment