Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Top/Bottom 5 Movie Roles - Tom Hanks

I came up with a new regular post idea.  This new post will be where I pick a random actor or actress's Top 5 and Bottom 5 Movie Roles (I assume the post title gave that away).  This won't necessarily be the chosen actor or actress's best roles, but a combination of their best and my favorite.  In other words, if there is a tie, I'll go with my favorite.  Also, I won't actually be ranking them, they will be in a random order.  Lastly, this isn't these actor's or actress's best movies, but their best characters.  Let's get started:


Top 5
Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own - "There's no crying in baseball" and "Did anyone ever tell you, you like a penis with a little hat on?" sum up why I liked this character as much as did.
Forrest Gump, Forrest Gump - It's as Robert Downey Jr's character said in Tropic Thunder, Tom Hanks didn't go "full retard" and that's what made his character so great in this movie.
Josh Baskin, Big - As awesome as Tom was in this flick, it is still disturbing to think that Hanks's love interest was 20 to 30 years older than Josh Baskin.  What do you think went through her mind when she saw Josh turn back into a kid?
Carl Hanratty, Catch Me If You Can - The accent is what did it for me in this movie, on top of this being a very enjoyable film.
Chuck Noland, Cast Away - The guy lost 50 pounds and grew an awesome beard for this flick.  That's true dedication.  The movie itself wasn't that great, but his character was spot on.

Bottom 5
Robert Langdon, The DaVinci Code - I honestly don't know what I disliked more - this movie or Tom's haircut in this movie.  While this role has turned into a franchise (the 3rd one is in production), I really don't like this character even though I enjoy the books.
Joe Fox, You've Got Mail - I had to include one of his romantic comedies and I picked this one because it was a blatant attempt to cash in on the Hanks/Meg Ryan combo from Sleepless in Seattle.
Michael Sullivan, Road to Perdition - I saw this movie once and thought it was really dumb.  It just wasn't the kind of movie or role that fits Tom and I still don't know why he picked it.
Professor G.H. Dorr, The Ladykillers - If you've ever seen this movie, then I don't need to say anything more.  Pure garbage.
Viktor Navorski, The Terminal - I just don't know what to say about Tom's role in this movie other than they made a full length film about a guy being stuck in an airport when in reality this movie shouldn't have been longer than about 20 minutes.

"Did they dye his hair?"

No comments:

Post a Comment