Friday, March 21, 2014

Brainfart Book Recommendations

Believe it or not, I love to read.  And because I read a lot, I decided to pass on a few recommendations to you, our dear readers.

  • Clovenhoof - This is the funniest book I have read since Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy.  I wrote an entire post about it awhile back.  Basically, the plot is that the Devil is fired and forced to retire to a small town in England where he gets into all sorts of trouble.  Read my review and you will get the gist of it.
  • Reality Dysfunction - Other than Game of Thrones (or a Song of Ice and Fire for the nerds) and the Wheel of Time, this might be my favorite book series I have ever read.  It's set well into the future where people have populated all over the universe and live in relative peace until something horrible is discovered on a developing planet.  I can't really say more than that without giving anything away, but trust me, these books are incredible.  On top of that, I usually knock out a book in 3 or 4 days and it took me a couple of weeks to read each of these, which was refreshing to me.
  • Century Trilogy - Have you ever seen The Pillars of the Earth?  It was a mini-series that came on Starz (I think) a few years ago.  Better yet, have you ever read The Pillars of the Earth?  Awesome book considering the only way to explain the plot is that it is about a town building a church.  Well, the Century Trilogy was written by the same guy (Ken Follett) and the first two books are amazing (the third comes out later this year).  It follows an American, British, German, and Russian family during WWI, then their children in WWII, and then the next generation will be the main characters in the last book during the Cold War.  I'll put it this way, while reading the first book, I was pulling for the characters to prevent WWI even though the books are based on history and I knew they would fail.
  • Death Mill Mansion - This book is hilarious.  A guy named Robbie, who is described as "extremely mediocre, which is impressive considering the definition of 'extremely' and 'mediocre'", has his car break down and is forced to take shelter in a nearby mansion where he meets werewolves, a vampire, ghosts, zombies, crazy people, and deeply religious robots.  So funny, check it out.
  • Redemption Trilogy - I was surprised by how much I liked these books.  The main character is a badass, the action scenes are intense, and I was satisfied with its conclusion.  Other than an out-of-place, very long, and very detailed sex scene in the second book, I thought this trilogy was great from beginning the end.  What was it about?  Read it and find out for yourself.

"Thanks for the recommendations, Sambo.  These books are great."
"You're welcome, kid."

No comments:

Post a Comment