Monday, July 14, 2014

NOKW - Hook

Here comes the next chapter in our "I'm Okay With, I'm Not Okay With" series where I point out things in a movie I can tolerate and then one thing I just couldn't (if you want, click here for all of the past posts):

Movie:  Hook

Basic Plot:  Peter Pan is old and he has to go back to Neverland and save his kids from Captain Hook.

I'm Okay With:  The fact that Peter forgot that he was Peter Pan and more importantly that he could fly, there is no way you would ever forget that you could fly.  The fact that Tinkerbell might be the most evil person in Neverland considering she is the one who abducted all of the Lost Boys and now they have to fight to the death against pirates the rest of their lives.  The fact that this was one of Gwyneth Paltrow's first movies, she played young Wendy.  The fact that the Lost Boys are still alive considering that their diet consists of nothing but imaginary food that looks mostly like cake icing.  The fact that there appears to be only two women in all of Neverland (if you don't count the mermaids), Tinkerbell and some pirate floozy.  The fact that I know where the Lost Boys came from (abducted children apparently), but I don't know how the pirates came to be in Neverland.  The fact that Tinkerbell just didn't show Peter where he slept a lot sooner, that would have saved them a lot of time trying to get Peter to remember who he really was.  The fact that you never grow up in Neverland and yet they show a flashback scene where we see Peter grow from an infant to a kid.  The fact that I didn't know until I was older that Dustin Hoffman was Captain Hook.  The fact that a bunch of pirates would ever be defeated by a small band of kids.  The fact that Captain Hook should be fine at the end of the movie, he just jumped up into the mouth of a dead crocodile, no harm done.

I'm Not Okay With:  The fact that only Peter and his kids can fly.  Why can't the rest of the Lost Boys fly?  They all somehow got to Neverland, but once there only Peter seems to have the ability to fly.  Why?  Do the rest of the Lost Boys have no happy thoughts?  That's the only explanation I can think of and if that is the case, that's highly depressing but kind of makes sense.  These kids were abducted and now have to live in a world where they constantly battle pirates to the death.  I would find it difficult to be happy, too.  I guess this means that Peter is actually a murdering psychopath and enjoys murdering pirates and that is why he still has the ability to have happy thoughts which is extremely disturbing now that I think about it.  I am not okay with that.

"Yup, they were all abducted from their families and now live in a world were they murder pirates for a living."

No comments:

Post a Comment