Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Old NFL Players

For some reason, I decided to do a little research on the age of NFL players.  I wanted to know how many players were over the age of 30, because I feel like it really can't be that many.  Other than QBs, I'm guessing that for most position groups, there are not that many guys still playing that are 30 years old and above.  And that's why I made this list.  My results came from a look at the rosters according to ESPN.  Let's see what I got (the age in the parentheses is the oldest of each group):

  • QBs - 30 (38 years old)
  • RBs - 10 (33 years old)
  • WRs - 27 (35 years old)
  • TEs - 13 (32 years old)
  • OLs - 59 (37 years old)
  • DLs - 44 (35 years old)
  • LBs - 35 (36 years old)
  • DBs - 32 (37 years old)
  • Ks/Ps - 26 (41 years old)

And what did we learn?  That's 276 guys out of roughly 1,700 total players (or 16%) in the league are 30 and up.  I would say that that means football is a young man's game.  I did find it funny that nearly 50% of all kickers and punters are over 30.  Also, while doing this post, I found that Seattle has a really young team, so don't expect them to drop off any time soon.

"The face of the oldest guy in the NFL."

No comments:

Post a Comment