Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Ranking Summer Movies I Saw

I saw more movies in the theater this summer than I have in a long time.  Maybe it's because the quality of movies have sucked lately and this summer had some quality flicks, but more likely it was because I had a couple of gift cards burning a hole in my pocket.  In any case, I thought I would rank the movies I did see from worst to best.  Here goes:

  • 6) The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - When I first left this movie, I actually kind of liked it.  Then I got to think about it and hated it more and more.  For some reason, they tried to cram way too much into this thing and failed miserably.  The action scenes were good, but everything else was a train wreck.
  • 5) How To Train Your Dragon 2 - Yup, I saw this movie in the theater.  I took my 6 year old nephew to see it so he would stop annoying my mom for a couple of hours.  I would have ranked it above Godzilla, but seeing a movie with a 6 year old who doesn't stop moving or talking really makes it hard to enjoy.  In the end, I liked the first one more.
  • 4) Godzilla - This movie really wasn't that bad......if they would have shown more of Godzilla and less of the unattractive Elizabeth Olson.  When Godzilla did finally get some screen time, it was amazing, the only problem is that it took an hour and a half for that to happen.  In the sequel, we better get non-stop giant monster fights (same goes for you, Pacific Rim 2).
  • 3) X-Men: Days of Future Past - Great movie.  Nothing special, but it got the job done.
  • 2) Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Okay, technically this wasn't a summer movie because it came out in early April, but it should count because it was the second best movie of summer/spring.  I think what made it really good was that it was a comic book movie without going overboard with comic book stuff and instead they made it more of a conspiracy thriller.  Sure, it had a guy with a bionic arm, but so did the Six Million Dollar Man and nobody called that a comic book show.
  • 1) Guardians of the Galaxy - Best movie of the summer by far.  So good that I saw it twice and loved it both times.  It was an origin story without being an origin story.  Instead of showing flashbacks and cut-scenes of each characters' pasts, they just knocked out their lives with a couple lines of dialogue and it totally worked.  Chris Pratt is going to be a star, a huge star.

"This sexy redhead played the blue skinned villain, Nebula, in Guardians of the Galaxy.  I only posted this picture because she meets my "Perfect Woman Trifecta" - tall, redhead, and British."

No comments:

Post a Comment