Tuesday, November 18, 2014

TV Ads

Last week, I wrote something along to lines of "Why does Coca-Cola bother advertising so much when they know we are already addicted to their product?" and that got me to thinking - does advertising really even work?  Seriously, when was the last time you bought a car because of an annoying local TV ad salesman boasted about his "low, low prices"?  Have you ever gone out and bought Coors Light because of their dumb ads where some dude retrieves beer out of an iceberg?  Or have you ever thought to yourself that you should buy a Hardee's/Carl's Jr. Mile High Bacon Cheeseburger because a hot chick in a stewardess outfit ate one in an ad?  I can honestly say no.

However, the fact that I remembered all of those examples is kind of the point of the company's ad.  But at no point has it ever swayed me to buy their products.  If I'm going to buy a car, I'm going to buy the one I like, not the one I see on TV the most, and the same goes for beer and junk food.  So, that brings up my question again - does advertising really work?  Once again, I'm going with no, but then again, these ads might not be trying to rope my demographic into buying their stuff.  I guess I will just have to wait a couple decades until those boner pill ads start making more sense.

"Horny?  Yes.  Hungry?  Not so much."

No comments:

Post a Comment