Monday, December 22, 2014

NOKW - Total Recall

Here comes the next chapter in our "I'm Okay With, I'm Not Okay With" series where I point out things in a movie I can tolerate and then one thing I just couldn't (if you want, click here for all of the past posts):

Movie:  Total Recall (2012)

Basic Plot:  A remake only in name and characters, otherwise the original and this one have nothing in common.

I'm Okay With:  The fact that not a single scene takes place on Mars.  The fact that there were no mutants.  The fact that they seemed to force the 3-breasted woman in this movie just for the sake of adding something from the original.  The fact that Kuato wasn't even in this movie and I loved that little monster.  The fact that I was kind of shocked that I enjoyed this thing.  The fact that the only means of travel from one continent to the other was through a giant hole drilled through the Earth and that they were able to build it without it melting in the planet's core.  The fact that Colin Farrell is able to take out a dozen armed men without even getting a scratch.  The fact that they have all this cool technology and don't seem to use it when they need it.  The fact that I'm pretty sure this script was written and they later shoehorned it into a Total Recall remake.  The fact that they tried to make us believe that a fight between super-spy Colin Farrell and dopey Bryan Cranston would last more than one punch.   The fact that Kate Beckinsale is determined to kill Colin Farrell even though he is essential to the bad guy's plot to beat the rebels, speaking of which....

I'm Not Okay With:  The fact that everything about the bad guy's plan makes no sense.  If you haven't seen this movie and don't want me to ruin it for you, then tough because it's been out for two years.  So basically, Bryan Cranston is the villain and he takes his best spy (Colin Farrell), brainwashes him and has him join the rebels to gain their trust.  He then captures Farrell and brainwashes him again into thinking he is just a regular Joe.  But Farrell has his rebel memories restored while at a Recall facility and goes on the run from Cranston's people.  Eventually, Farrell meets up with Jessica Biel who takes him to the head of the rebels.  Cranston follows them and kills the head rebel and reveals that this was all part of his plan.  My problem is that I don't understand why he captured Farrell and brainwashed him again.  Why not just wait until he meets up with the rebels and take them out?  I feel like he took an unnecessary step and it resulted in too many uncertainties, a lot of damage, and a ton of civilian deaths.  And sure, Colin Farrell did side with the rebels before the second brainwash and that might have complicated things for Cranston, but he was still able to follow Colin Farrell pretty easily in the end anyways.  So, still a pointless plan in my opinion.  I am not okay with that.

"That I find Jessica Biel hotter than Kate Beckinsale."

No comments:

Post a Comment