Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Sambo

A couple of years ago during the Super Bowl, my buddy BP told me his dad asked about the website I used to write for and how he could find it.  My buddy just told him to Google "Clemson Sambo" and it should be the top result (if you do that now, you can find an old article of mine from the website I wrote for before I wrote for the one I'm talking about.  Confused?).  His dad's response was "he does know that 'Sambo' is a derogatory term, right?".  Yup, Sambo is an old-timey term for people of African decent and I had no idea.

However, there is a reason I go by the name Sambo.  That's what my parents called me all the time when I was young.  Basically, before I was born, they came down to naming me either Samuel or Bo, and went with Sam, but still threw the "Bo" in there when they could.

The only reason I'm bringing this up is because I wanted anyone that may be offended by it to let me know.  If you are, then TOUGH!  I'm not going to do anything about it.

That's all,
Sambo


No comments:

Post a Comment