Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Baby Names

With being a nerd becoming more and more acceptable, there are going to be consequences.  And those consequences are going to fall onto those nerds' children.  What do I mean?  Well, if you look at the Top 10 Most Popular Baby Names over the past couple of years, Edward and Jacob have been on that list.  In other words, women are naming their kids after 'popular' fictional characters from the Twilight series.  I also read somewhere that about 200 hundred kids were named Khaleesi after the hot chick from Game of Thrones.  Knowing this, I decided to take a few of the more popular shows and movies and list the names of the main characters that kids might have to suffer from in the near future.  However, I will not being listing villains' names, so there will be no Malfoy or Cersei (even though it would be pretty awesome to name your kid Voldemort).  After compiling this list, I did notice one thing and I will tell you what is was in a minute.  First, let's see what I got:

Hunger Games
  • Girls - Katniss
  • Boys - Peeta, Gale
Twilight
  • Girls - Bella
  • Boys - Edward, Jacob
Harry Potter
  • Girls - Hermione (how many of you didn't know how to pronounce her name until the movies came out?  And even then, I still don't see it)
  • Boys - Harry, Ron
Game of Thrones
  • Girls - Sansa, Arya, Daenerys, Khaleesi
  • Boys - Jon, Robb, Bran, Jaime (and even though he is the best character in the series, I doubt anyone will name their kid Tyrion)
Did you notice what I was talking about?  The girl's names are way more noticeable than the boy's names.  Other than Peeta, none of the boy's names would cause said boy to be picked on his whole life.  However, every single one of the girl's names would cause the other girls to talk behind her back.  Then again, they would probably do that anyways, am I right, fellas?  In any case, I really do feel sorry for the future generation when you will one day meet a kid named Kal-El, Michelangelo, or something else equally dumb because their nerd parents thought it would cute if they named their kid after a movie character that no one will remember by then.  Then again, Nicholas Cage already named his kid Kal-El, so that time might be coming sooner than you think.

"I heard her parents named her after some dumb chick who banged a vampire who sparkled.  Dork."

No comments:

Post a Comment