Monday, August 11, 2014

NOKW - Goldeneye

Here comes the next chapter in our "I'm Okay With, I'm Not Okay With" series where I point out things in a movie I can tolerate and then one thing I just couldn't (if you want, click here for all of the past posts):

Movie:  Goldeneye

Basic Plot:  Pierce Brosnan's first go as James Bond and he has to stop his old buddy 006 from destroying London.

I'm Okay With:  The fact that Bond was able to catch-up with that airplane after it fell off a cliff in the opening scene.  The fact that I still don't know what the composer was thinking about when he scored the music for the race scene between Bond and Jean Grey (see video below).  The fact that the Russian computer lady had an amazing body and they only showed her in a bikini for a couple of minutes instead of the whole movie.  The fact that it makes me laugh to realize that Boris is the same actor who played Nightcrawler in the 2nd X-Men movie.  The fact that while rewatching this I kept remembering the corresponding level from the video game that matched each scene.  The fact that I'm still not sure if this movie was good or if it was bad but the video game was so awesome it distorts my view of the movie.  The fact that James is able to jump in a Russian tank and drive it like it was his own car.  The fact that I'm not sure exactly what killed Jean Grey, I guess it was a broken back but they made it look like she suffocated which was impossible.

I'm Not Okay With:  The fact that the bad guys could build a giant satellite without anyone noticing.  The bad guy, 006, builds a satellite in Cuba so he can control Goldeneye and when Bond goes looking for it, his CIA contact says "if someone lights a cigar in Cuba, we would have seen it".  Granted the satellite is hidden under a lake, but that doesn't excuse that it had to be built with nobody noticing.  They had to drain the lake and bring in tons of raw material to build that thing and the CIA didn't notice that?!?  It's not like they can build something that large overnight.  And even then, once it was finished it would take months for that lake to fill back in and yet no one saw a giant satellite dish sitting in the middle of an empty lake?  Ridiculous.  I am not okay with that.

"Skip to 30 seconds in and you will hear the weirdest music ever."

No comments:

Post a Comment