Monday, August 18, 2014

Top/Bottom 5 Movie Roles - Mel Brooks

Here is where I pick a random actor or actress's Top 5 and Bottom 5 Movie Roles (I assume the post title gave that away).  This won't necessarily be the chosen actor or actress's best roles, but a combination of their best and my favorite.  In other words, if there is a tie, I'll go with my favorite.  Also, I won't actually be ranking them, they will be in a random order.  Lastly, this isn't these actor's or actress's best movies, but their best characters.  Let's get started:


Top 5
Young Frankenstein - Did you know that he had troubles getting this classic made?  None of the studios wanted to make it and when someone finally signed on, he was walking out of the negotiations after signing the contract and said "Oh yeah, I'm doing this in black and white".  Somehow that made this thing even better.
Blazing Saddles - "Where the white women at?" is still one of the funniest lines ever.  Makes me laugh every time.  Also, did you know that Richard Pryor was supposed to play the part of Sheriff Bart, but wanted to write instead?
Spaceballs - What can you say about the greatest movie spoof of all time?  Nothing.  It was perfect.
History of the World: Part I - I still find it funny that Mel titled this "Part 1" without any intention of doing any others.  I looked it up and it turns out that it was a play on "The Historie of the World, Volume 1" by Sir Walter Raleigh.
Robin Hood: Men in Tights - Do you remember this thing?  Did you remember that Dave Chappelle was in it?  Yeah, it was his first credited role in a movie.  Man, I still miss that guy.

Bottom 5
None, how can you not like anything that Mel had done.  His works are too awesome.  Plus, you can't mock a guy who set up speakers on the front lines of WWII and sang songs by Jewish musicians to the Germans (scroll to the bottom).


No comments:

Post a Comment